Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Day

Once again I was struck by the reality of raising boys. Last night I gave the boys their Valentine cards to make out for their class exchange. I remember when I was little I would love Valentine's Day. I would take my cards and look through them so I could pick out the best Valentine for each person in my class. My best friend would get a special one, and which ever boy I loved at the time would get a special one as well. I had to pick out just the right card. I was a little boy crazy. I think I loved my first boy at age 3. I don't really remember his real name, but we called him Bubba Rooney. Why, I don't know. So back to last night. The boys got their class list and began filling out their cards. You had to attach a piece of candy to each so I was doing that. While putting the candy on Mason's cards I noticed one made out to Casey. The card read, You are my sweetheart! I started thinking, wow does Mason have a girlfriend. I asked him who Casey was and he said it was the boy that lived down the street. I said, "Well, your card to him says he is your sweetheart. Is that what you want to give him?" He said, "Man, why do these dumb cards say things like that?" I was all, "Duh, they are valentine cards, what do you expect?" Crazy kid!! He just wrote names on the cards and didn't even read them. That just really disappoints me. I thought the cards we got from the boys had been hand picked by them. I guess they were just in it for the goodies. I guess not much has changed. The men in our lives today are just in it for the goodies to. The only difference is the goodies have changed.

I did get a really cute card from Tanner today. It was his handprints making a heart. When I got it I thought, this is probably the last time I will get a handprint craft from him. That made me a little sad. He is really growing up.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

lol at your comment....wasn't duck girl, if you can believe that. it was "most likely to play in the nfl" and "most likely to play in the nfl"'s teeny tiny sidekick. does that help? we'll perform for you on tuesday