Friday, June 20, 2008

ummmmm......okay

Brad and I were kind of thrown into this parenting a teenager thing. Even though my stepson has always been part of our lives he lived the majority of his life in another state. His mother is one of the most selfish people I have ever met. She moved him around a lot, told horrible stories about Brad to Kyle, and basically did as she pleased when it came to Kyle. Anyway, my point is when Kyle called to see if he can come and live with us we of course said sure, he is our son. The first weekend he was here we had to decide if he could use the car, how far he could drive, and if he should have a curfew. Just a few parenting decisions we weren't used to. Mason and Tanner haven't gotten there yet. He is really a good kid and other than his filthy room hasn't been much of a problem. The biggest problem is when we tell him to do something, he says okay, but then doesn't do it. I can't stand this and it drives Brad crazy. Last night I went into the boys bathroom and I couldn't even walk in, because there were things all over the floor and counter top. I had told him to get it cleaned up before he left for church. We had also reminded him to take the garbage out before he left and this was not done. I know this is normal parenting issues, it is just not one I am used to. My other two kids know when I mean business and don't push me too often, and when they do I am used to how to handle it. But parenting an 8 and 10 year old is much different than parenting an 18 year old. Anyway, I wrote a note and put it on his door. It said.....Clean the bathroom TONIGHT. If it is not clean when you leave for work in the morning you will lose the use of the car. Guess what......it was clean when I checked this morning. Maybe this isn't so hard after all!!

No comments: