Saturday, January 23, 2010

Nerd Alert

I am not a fashion diva. I know that probably comes as a surprise to most of you, but fashion is not my thing. I am comfortable in jeans and tennis shoes for the most part. I don't think I need to be put on that show What Not to Wear, but I could dress a little better at times. I do spend the majority of my time at my kids sporting events and these aren't exactly black tie affairs. I don't think I look bad and do know how to match my clothes.

I try very hard to make sure my kids look good. They always match even if they are just wearing basketball shorts and t-shirts. It drives me crazy when I see a kid that is wearing mix-matched clothes. Tanner has a good friend that always comes over wearing green shorts and an orange shirt or some other crazy combination. One day I was taking them to the movies and I made him go home and change into something that matched. I feel the same way about character shoes. You know like Bob the Builder or whatever cartoon character is in at the time. I guess teaching in some low income schools I would see the mix matched clothes, cheap character shoes, and uncombed hair and it isn't the look I want for my kids.

That brings me to today. Mason had a basketball game and before we left he told me he needed new socks. He has been wearing the no show socks and he wanted some that came up a little bit higher. We went to Academy and he picked out the ones he wanted. They are black and come up about mid calf. I told him I refused to buy him black socks to wear with shorts. He insisted that everyone wears them. I finally gave in and bought them and he changed in the car and was very proud of his "new look". All I could think of was an old man mowing his yard with shorts and black socks. The kind of person we always made fun of. We made it to his game and he ran out on the court. He was the only one with high black socks. After the game I asked him about no one else sporting this new look. He explained to me once again that all the kids at school wear them. I am trying not to sweat the small stuff, but it is hard. I also think the socks brought him bad luck. This is the first game in a couple of years that he hasn't scored a basket. His team lost 30-8. I let him know what I thought, but he said it wasn't the socks. At least I tried to help him. Maybe someone should call What not to Wear and we could do an intervention.

No comments: