Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Cowboy

Brad and I met 15 years ago today at the George Strait look alike contest in Houston at the Post Oak Ranch. I was suppose to meet friends there. We had decided it was going to be a fun night because we would either see a lot of guys that looked like George Strait or we could laugh at the guys that thought they looked like George. I got antsy and decided to go a little early. I think I got there about an hour before my friends. The first person I saw when I walked into the door was a tall cowboy leaning on the bar with a cowboy hat on and a beer in his hands. Our eyes met for a second and then we kind of walked around looking at each other for a while. When my friends arrived we still hadn't said anything to each other. Finally, he walked up to me and asked me what my name was. I was in a silly mood, or maybe just drunk, but I answered, "What do you want it to be?" and then me and Meredith were making up names. He then asked me what I did for a living, and I answered, "What do you want me to do?" We made small talk and then he asked me to dance. This was the true test. We began dancing and I remember thinking, wow he can dance! We don't dance much anymore but 15 years later we are still together doing or own day to day dance.

No comments: