Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Right of Passage

I remember being a little girl and being so excited about school beginning. It meant new clothes and school supplies. I always looked forward to the class list being posted and the excitement that came with finding out who your teacher was and which of your friends were in your class.

So, today was the big day for my kids. Class Postings! Right before I left from work I called home and told the boys to be ready when I got home so we could go and see who their teacher was. First, I talked to Brad and he couldn't understand what I was talking about. He kept saying, "I thought that was tomorrow night." I tried to explain that meet the teacher was tomorrow night this was just to see who their teacher was. He said, "They don't want to do that, just go and see who it is for them." I thought surely he doesn't understand, of course the boys want to go up there with me. I asked to talk to the boys. They said the same thing as Brad. Are you kidding me? I hung up the phone, but then thought, surely they don't understand. I called them back and said, "Are you sure you don't want to go? Don't you want to see who is in your class?" Mason said for me to look and see if any of his friends are in his class. Tanner said he would just see who was in his class on the first day of school. I was so bummed. How could my kids not feel the same excitement I did as a child? It must be that they are boys. Guess what? Mason called me back and said for me to come and pick him up, he had changed his mind. I asked him if Tanner was going and he said no. By the time I got home both boys were outside waiting for me, with their new shoes on. I guess they aren't as strange as I thought.

No comments: