Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kid update

Mason waiting his turn on the sideline.


Tanner has been doing better. Maybe because he hasn't had a baseball game. Last week he remembered he forgot his math homework at school. He said, "I am going to get a mark." I said, "Yes, you are." He thought for a minute and came up with a plan to ride his bike to a friends house and get his homework, bring it home so I could copy it, and then give it back to him. Great plan, only his friend had forgot his too. He needs to pick smarter friends. We tried to explain to him that getting the mark is the consequence for not following his teachers directions and putting the paper in his binder. He seemed to understand, but he wasn't happy. He worried about it all night. The next morning he mentioned it again, and I told him to try and not cry. When he got home the first thing he said to me was, "I got a mark and I didn't cry." I asked him what happened and he said he had to do the work at recess. He said, "It only took me a minute and then I got to go and play." I told him I wasn't going to punish him because his punishment was doing it during recess.

The next test was Saturday at his football game. They passed the ball to him in the end zone, but he didn't catch it. Brad thought it was pass interference, but it wasn't called. He did cry, but got over it pretty quick. Later in the game they passed it to him again and he ran about 20 yards before getting tackled. He was so proud of himself. I always tell him to say to himself when he strikes out or misses a ball, "next time I'll get it". This was a perfect example of that. He has such a sweet heart. I know that is why he is so sensitive. I don't want that to change about him. He just needs to know how to handle his emotions. Hopefully, we are on the right road.

Kyle moved out a couple of weeks ago. He decided he needed to live with a Mormon family. I guess us asking him to get a job was just too much for him. He hasn't called us to even let us know where he is. He didn't have a phone, because he had lost the one we gave him. He came back Saturday when we were at Tanner's game. He left us his new number. His mom reactivated his old phone. I think he is a lot like his mom. The grass is always greener. That is why she has moved so much. It must be horrible to be that unhappy.

Mason is doing well. He is starting quarterback for his football team. A new kid showed up right before the season started. The kids had already been practicing for a month. They had to try out for their positions. Rumor has it this kid came to the team because he wants to be quarterback and his old team wouldn't let him. His mom is on the board so I guess she gets what she wants. Mason and this kid have switched off. Mason runs a series and then the new kids runs a series. I haven't really been happy about this, but I have kept my mouth shut. The dad even tried to say Mason couldn't play two weeks ago, because Mason had on Tanner's jersey because Mason left his at home. The only thing different was the number, but Mason's team didn't have a 30 so his coach said it was okay. He made a big deal out of it. Then last week the mom said Mason couldn't play because he wasn't in full uniform. He didn't have on the long red socks. He wasn't the only one. There were at least 4 other kids that didn't have the socks on. Our coach said it wasn't an issue. They are trying to get rid of my baby. Don't mess with my baby or I can get ugly. Last week the other parents were saying things to me about why this kid is taking Mason's spot. One even yelled while that kid was out there, "Put in our real quarterback." He threw an interception and caused a safety. After that Mason quarterbacked the rest of the game. I guess things work out the way they are suppose to.

No comments: