Friday, October 31, 2008

Hospital




Last night Mason was admitted to the hospital. I went to the pediatrician again yesterday because Mason was still running a fever and he was complaining of his mouth hurting. The doctor said it was herpes. What the ......? I asked him how he got that and he said it was very common and kids pass it all the time. Who knew? When I got home I looked on the internet and it said you can take antiviral medication for this. I called his nephrologists and told them what was going on and they told me to take him to the ER so he could be admitted for IV antiviral meds. We got to the ER at 6:30 and didn't get up to a room until 10:30. They didn't start the IV until around 1:30 and it was so loud we couldn't sleep. Then they kept coming in at least every hour for one thing or another. The labs showed his BUN level was a little elevated, that is his kidney function. He is still not spilling protein. His blood showed some new bands (I have never heard of bands) He said that you are suppose to have 0 bands and he has 6. This means his body is fighting an infection. Really??!! The worst part is they have him in isolation so he feels like he is in jail. He is tired and very crabby. Nothing is good enough at this moment. He is very sad he is missing Halloween. He had plans for a friend to ride the bus home and they were going trick or treating by themselves. He has a very important football game tomorrow. He has two baseball games on Sunday. He is very disappointed to not be able to participate. The doctor said the earliest we can get out is this weekend, perhaps tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I am so sorry. I just got home from my parents house & checked my school emails (and saw what happened with mason). i am so sorry. that must be really scary. is he home now? is he ok? i can't call now b/c it's too late. i just want you to know that i care & hope things are looking up! love ya